Ubuntu 12.04 was spinning my HDD down quite aggressively. It would spin down about once a minute, then spin back up again. This has the potential to cause some damage to the hard drive potentially decreasing it’s lifespan.
After messing around with laptop-mode and laptop-mode-tools to no avail I found this bug report:
1. The solution for me was to open hdparm.conf
sudo gedit /etc/hdparm.conf
2. Then add the following line
apm_battery = 128
This is a temporary solution for the bug and there is a permanent fix due to be released with 12.04.1
(Read the bug report for from #20 to find out more)
You can now install an updated HDPARM package using Synaptic Package Manager. This avoids having to change the config file
1. Open Synaptic and click Settings Menu>Repositories
2. Click the updates tab and check proposed updates and close
3. Click the reload button then search for hdparm
4. Right click and mark for upgrade.
(After it installed I went back and unchecked proposed updates)